Bringing Television back to the TV
SlipStream is a Social Media platform.
It integrates broadcast television and radio, on-demand services, personal content and programme metadata with social networks to create personalised, social and shareable viewing experiences.
SlipStream’s user-facing features include:
- A Unified Content Guide (UCG) for broadcast, on-demand and personal content.
- RemoteRecord: Users can browse their UCG from any device and set programmes to record remotely to their PVR at any time.
- Contextual Actions: for any programme in the UCG, SlipStream will show all the actions currently possible for a given programme.
- SmartShare: A user can rate any programme and/or recommend it, either to their friends or to the world at large. SlipStream also makes behaviourally-driven recommendations to users and groups.
- Tagging: SlipStream supports user tagging and sharing against programmes, titles and genres. The ability to tag and share segments within a programme is designed into SlipStream and is currently under development.
- SmartSearch: SlipStream allows users to search broadcast, on-demand and local content on multiple criteria and to save their choices as repeatable SmartSearches.
- Cross-platform Clients: SlipStream clients are available for Set-Top Boxes, web browsers and mobile phones. The SlipStream API allows ready and selective integration of SlipStream features with third party clients and middleware.
- Widgets: SlipStream also provides a range of widgets for the simple integration of online sources with STBs - these currently include Twitter and Flickr clients, weather trackers and other information service widgets.
Behind the Scenes
Behind the scenes, SlipStream provides:
- A Standards-based Server environment with a 360° API that allows the rapid integration of multiple metadata and content sources, identity and transaction services, social networks and client devices.
- A Lightweight Social Network (LSN) for the management of user and group identities, preferencess and social network accounts
- A highly efficient encoding protocol for the injection of social metadata into the broadcast carousel, thereby socially enabling the legacy installed base of STBs.
- An extensible Recommendation engine which uses multiple algorithms to match user preferences and behaviour with programming.
- CloudPlay: Maintains and tracks the availability of any content to a user via a given device and network and delivers the results to the UCG, conditioned by any content owner, legal or network-imposed restrictions.
- MetaData integrator: This maps multiple metadata sources into SlipStream’s internal metadatabase, which uses the TV Anytime standard as the common denominator for content metadata.
SlipStream features can be deployed as required: a customer can start with something as simple as remote recording management and progressively switch on new SlipStream features over time, creating and extending a highly-monetisable user proposition. This flexible, modular and extensible architecture can be licensed in several ways:
- As an end-to-end solution providing a fully-integrated client and server architecture
- As a back-end service, integrated with customer hardware, software and middleware.
- As a complete custom deployment.
For more information, please .